Powered by Blogger.

IPSF Student Pharmacist Spotlight: Whitney Johnston

Category: Written by APhA-ASP Region 7 / 1:01 PM


Whitney Johnston, a second year student pharmacist & the APhA-ASP Chapter President at Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy, shares her experiences from her trip to Armenia. 
 


This past summer, after 24 hours of travel, I arrived in Armenia with a team of 15 student researchers. We didn’t speak the language and we were unfamiliar with the culture, but we were determined to make a difference. Our research team was composed primarily of graduate students from various universities throughout the country. We had each joined a study abroad program through the University of Utah’s Division of Public Health. Prior to departing for Armenia, we spent countless hours designing a research study and survey to assess diabetes knowledge in Armenia. In addition to research, our goal was to educate the general population and providers there.

The need for diabetes education in Armenia is very prevalent. According to the World Health Organization 2011 report, 8 percent of all deaths in Armenia were due to diabetes. Over the past 25 years, Armenia has undergone a great deal of change accompanied by public health and developmental problems. Some of these health changes include an increase in sedentary lifestyles, excessive alcohol and tobacco use, and unhealthy food consumption. Many Armenians cannot afford medical care and only seek help for chronic diseases after they have progressed to life-threatening stages. Our goal as student researchers was to discover what the Armenian population and providers understood about Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM). Our educating efforts were focused on teaching Armenians how to prevent acquiring the disease and how to treat it through healthy lifestyle changes.  

In order to complete our research we visited four hospitals throughout the country and provided T2DM education at each location. In order to find enough people to fill out our surveys we received permission to enter individual patient rooms. I was very humbled by my surroundings—these rooms were lined with blank walls and four run-down beds. There was no medical equipment and several family members were gathered around each patient to feed and care for them throughout their stay. My desire to help the Armenian people increased immensely as I entered each patient’s room. I observed as a nurse entered a room with a dirty cart carrying a few open jars with crusted liquids lining the sides. This was used for disinfecting a patients wound.

I didn’t speak the language and felt helpless when I didn’t have a translator at my side. I was later given the opportunity to share my knowledge. On June 25, three days into our trip, I found myself standing in front of a crowd of Armenians to give a population presentation about Type 2 Diabetes. I was provided a translator and given an hour to present everything I knew. Following the presentation the crowd made their way to the front of the room with several questions. I am only a student pharmacist but was treated like an expert. I will never forget the sincere thanks I received as their individual questions were answered. They seemed to leave my presentation with a new sense of hope for a healthier lifestyle. These experiences have changed my perspective on the impact I can make as a single student pharmacist, and as a pharmacist when I graduate. I truly felt that I had made a difference.

There was one particular element of Armenian culture that personally impacted me while in the country—it was their unique sense of hope. While touring different parts of the country we were introduced daily to numerous ways Armenians make wishes. They climb through a small hole in a rock, tie cloth on the branches of trees, sit between two people with the same name, get rocks to stick to stone walls, and the list goes on. These customs are an intricate part of the Armenian culture; they are constantly wishing and praying for something better. This aspect of the culture instilled in me a feeling of hope. As I adopted some of their traditions and made wishes on several occasions, my thoughts began to center on the positive things I wanted in my future, and I was constantly hoping for positive change.


Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in studying, trying to pass assessments, and graduate from the Doctor of Pharmacy program. This experience helped me to step out of my role as a full-time student and understand how beneficial pharmacy knowledge can be in helping to improve the lives of people in our own communities, and throughout the world. I look forward to applying this knowledge and this experience as I continue in my studies, and eventually as I become a Roseman pharmacy graduate.




For more information about traveling abroad with IPSF, or facilitating IPSF in your chapter:
Thank for sharing!

About The APhA-ASP


APhA-ASP Region 7

The American Pharmacist Association is the oldest and largest professional organization for pharmacists in the country. The Academy of Student Pharmacists is held within APhA and is comprised by student pharmacists throughout the nation who are still taking classes at their respective colleges of pharmacy. APhA-ASP puts a strong emphasis on patient care initiatives, advocacy for the profession, and overall training to become a professional in the field of pharmacy.

0 comments